Earth Day is here, and unlike a majority of American holidays it’s not one where we’re showered with Hallmark greeting cards, excessive candy, or presents. Though if you’re feeling in the holiday spirit I’d be more than happy to receive any of the previously stated!
Recently, I got an e-mail discussing Old Navy & TerraCycle’s team up for Earth Day that sparked my interest!
- Old Navy stores nationwide will collect used flip-flops during a 1-month long drive kicking off (literally) TODAY, April 22, 2011!
- TerraCycle will recycle the collected flip-flops into four playgrounds to be installed in communities across the U.S.
Whether you’re a tree hugger or one who occasionally hugs trees I figured what 20 something doesn’t have a pair flip flops laying around? So go on and give the earth a little style by dropping off your flip flops!
Check out my interview below with Riki Brost of the Old Navy marketing team to elaborate a little more on the Flip Flop Replay.
1. Who is TerraCycle? Why did Old Navy decide to team up with this particular company for Earth Day?
TerraCycle, Inc. is an international up-cycling company that takes difficult to recycle packaging and turns it into affordable, eco-friendly products. Founded in 2001, TerraCycle is the world’s leader in the collection and reuse of non-recyclable post-consumer waste.
TerraCycle works to collect used packaging and products that would otherwise be destined for landfills. The waste is collected through TerraCycle’s Brigade programs such as the program with Old Navy.
2. Old Navy is the first retailer to use recycled flip flops for playgrounds around the U.S.! How did you all come about this fabulous idea?
The final idea was a collaboration between Old Navy and TerraCycle. Initially TerraCycle came to Old Navy with the idea of taking our old flip-flops and “up-cycling” them into items Old Navy would then resell such as tote bags, door mats and coolers. However, Old Navy wanted to do something where we could give back to the community which is why we landed on “recycling” the flip flops and creating the playground.
Old Navy wanted to take an item they are known for (or even somewhat famous for) and in turn create something that our customers could use- playgrounds! The Old Navy named “Flip Flop Replay” gives us the opportunity to create earth-friendly events inside our stores, and give us the opportunity to give back. In addition, while the retail market is very promotional, this message extends beyond any discount, and what customers get in return is a chance to support their communities.
In September, we will give away the playgrounds to four deserving schools or non-profit organizations. Customers can follow up on facebook to see how many flip flops we’ve donated and where the playgrounds will be built.
3. Can you drop off any flip flops, or are only previously used Old Navy flip flops allowed?
Any flip-flops and any brand. We don’t discriminate!
4. Why is it important for 20-somethings to get involved with the Flip Flop Replay?
We’re making it quick and simple for our customers, showing them that it’s easy to get involved.
5. An extremely important style question: like many across the U.S. are you a sucker for flip flops year round?
We sure are! Everyone should have a different color for every outfit!
6. Last but not least, Reality Chic wants to know in fashion is going green the new black?
Well, even though Old Navy LOVES color, we don’t necessarily see this as a trend. Old Navy looks forward to finding ways to continue to get involved.