Neon is everywhere this summer. Literally everywhere. With a trend this hot, it seems insane that anyone would NOT be partaking. Problem is, neon ain’t for the faint of heart. Everything about it screams “Look at me!” You are literally highlighting yourself out from within the crowd. Yes, calling attention to yourself in that manner can be a little daunting. What if you’re a tad bit shy? Or don’t want to look like a highlighter marker? Or what if you’d prefer your voice and opinions, and not your ensemble, do the shouting for you? Fair and solid points. But that doesn’t mean you have to let this season’s hottest trend pass you by. Remember in college how there was a fine line between those students who highlighted the important material in the reading, and those who highlighted everything but “the” and “however”? You just need to figure out how to translate the former, and not the latter, into your wardrobe. How does one do that, you inquire? Why, I’m glad you asked…
Go basic on the top, and neutral on the bottom.
- You don’t want to be too decked out in neon. You’re not an office supply closet, after all.
Or switch it, and go neutral on top, colorful down below.
- The trick is to balance out the outfit.
- You don’t have to create entirely new ensembles in order to incorporate this look into your closet. Just throw a vest or jacket on top to modify an already classic look!
Break a sweat!
- Not ready to neon-ize your work wardrobe or take that bright fuchsia top out for a spin around the block (and to the bars)? Hit the gym, where crazy color combos and outfit ideas are the norm, to give yourself a neon warm-up.
Or ride the waves.
- Swimwear is one of the easiest areas of a girl’s closet to get creative. Where else do you wear sparkles, African prints, braided ties, metal belts, nautical flare, fringe, mesh and crazy cuts? Might as well throw a little neon in the mix.
- Still squeamish about coloring yourself crazy? Stay true to yourself with slightly more muted and neutral tones above the ankles, and then slip those tootsies into a air that lets people know you’ve got the stuff, but don’t need to throw it in their faces.
- OK, maybe shoes are still a bit outlandish for your conservative tastes. Swap out your drab black and brown belts for something a little more attention-grabbing (without going overboard).
Throw it over your shoulder.
- So you don’t want any neon permanently stuck to your person from dawn ‘till dusk. Got it. How about trying an accessory or two on for size? Wallets, iPhone cases, and pocket mirrors all give you the rush of neon with the option of hiding it away should the eyes that gravitate toward you be a bit too much to take. My personal fave for removable neon? These amazing handbags. With just the slightest touch of neon, they could make even the faintest of hearts swoon.
Love the neon trend? Hate it? Fall somewhere in between? Tell me about it in the comments section below!
After graduating from college in ’09, Allyson Barkan flew off to Greece to teach English Literature at a private high school and explore Greek and European culture for a year. Since returning stateside, she now works in Entertainment Public Relations in New York City. For travel advice, stray observations as a 20-something in the big city, and the occasional hilarious misadventure, follow Allyson atwww.allysonbarkan.com and on twitter at @aebarkan.