When warmer temperatures start rolling around, my blazer always seems to take a backseat to pretty much everything else in my closet. Fun and flirty cardigans, vests, denim jackets and fun raincoats…everything trumps the blazer. After all, a blazer is lined (making it heavier and bulkier), it’s structured, it’s corporate, it’s stuffy. In short, it’s everything that spring and summer is not. But considering we are all young professionals who must spend our days in the office and nights at networking events or happy hours with other professional-types, sometimes the blazer is just what the doctor ordered.
One of the most versatile pieces of clothing you could own, a blazer is not an item that should get stored with your tights and chunky sweaters. But how does one create a dun, light, summery look with a blazer thrown in the mix? Why, I’m glad you asked.
- Do a role-reversal. Forget the standard black blazer and go for white. It’s surprisingly refreshing, and allows you to keep a classic look beneath without running the risk of treading in boring territory. This is the perfect option for those who are nervous about adding a little bit of color to their wardrobe.
- Pair with a sundress. Sundresses become a staples in the warmer months, but opt for a blazer rather than the go-to cardi. You’ll instantly update the look and pull the entire outfit together. A little structure goes a long way.
- Pick up a colored blazer. These babies allow you to stick to the tried and true skinny jeans and simple top, while still spicing things up a bit. Feeling a little more daring? Pair with a skirt and sandals to create a free-spirit-meets-corporate-professional look. After all, when have you ever been one to fit nicely into one box?
- Get creative. If you really want to try something new, go for a patterned jacket. This is a definite scene-stealer, so feel free to keep the rest of the outfit muted. Or, pair with colored skinnies to emphasize the pop of color in the blazer. Just don’t overdo it! You want people to notice your impeccable fashion sense, not get a headache.
- Go classic…with a twist. Are you the type who just wants to throw on jeans and a tank under that classic black blazer? More power to you. But go for a colorful, seasonal top and colored jeans instead to make this look more appealing under the summer sunshine.
Have a few tricks of your own for breaking out the blazer in the warmer months? Share the wealth in the comments section below!
After graduating from college in ’09, Allyson Barkan flew off to Greece to teach English Literature at a private high school and explore Greek and European culture for a year. Since returning stateside, she now works in Entertainment Public Relations in New York City. For travel advice, stray observations as a 20-something in the big city, and the occasional hilarious misadventure, follow Allyson atwww.allysonbarkan.com and on twitter at @aebarkan.