One look that is absolutely everywhere this season is the chambray shirt. It’s both classic and trendy at the same time, and provides a refreshing update to most outfits while giving the appearance of an old stand-by. But how do you perfectly pair it with your outfits? When is the right time to throw one on? How do you know if this look goes with your personal style (hint: it does!)? Follow the guide below for a how-to on everything chambray.
1. Pair with your favorite skinnies for a classic look that is very of the moment.
2. Top a maxi-dress with a chambray blouse in place of a cardigan for a completely new look.
3. Add over your tiniest bodycon skirt to give your look a bit more coverage, and a lot more wearability.
4. Not sure how to update that good ol’ sundress you got way too much use out of last summer? When the weather is sunny and bright, but still needs to do a little more warming up, finish off the look by leaving the top either unbuttoned and loose or tied at the waist. Instant update (and ready for a cool spring breeze)!
5. Nix the cardigan and match a midi skirt with a chambray shirt for a change. Tie at the waist in place of a belt to pull the outfit together.
Do you have a favorite way you like to sport your chambray? Got an outfit idea not included above? Tell me in the comments below!
After graduating from college in ’09, Allyson Barkan flew off to Greece to teach English Literature at a private high school and explore Greek and European culture for a year. Since returning stateside, she now works in Entertainment Public Relations in New York City. For travel advice, stray observations as a 20-something in the big city, and the occasional hilarious misadventure, follow Allyson atwww.allysonbarkan.com and on twitter at @aebarkan.